Friday, June 25, 2010

I can has that?

Yes, you may. I love the children here so much. They have simply grabbed ahold of my heart. I can tell so many stories already of how wonderful they are, but since there is not an eternity to read, so I’ll pass along the best stories.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday are swim days. We enjoy getting to teach them how to swim. Kei’aysha and I worked on Wednesday on floating in the water. It was so awesome to see them smile so much and enjoy it. It’s neat because they don’t get too much time in the pool, and their smiles are worth all the work.
On Thursday, the kids definitely tried us. They were seeing how much they could get away with, and so many of them spent time sitting in time out. For us that meant we had to play the meanie butt and get onto them. It was not the most fun I’ve ever had. The odd part was that even as we had to scold them and make them write verses, they still knew that we loved them. The kids all seemed to understand that anything that happened was because we wanted the best for them, which was definitely reassuring. The worst part was when I had to discipline a girl who ended up being suspended for Friday. It broke my heart that she couldn’t come on Friday, but were hoping this makes it better.
Today was awesome, I had the opportunity to be in the room as one of our sweet little girls, Jar’nadia accepted Jesus as her savior. The cool part about that is that she lives close to the center, so she will be here all summer, and even during the school year for after school. I love the fact that she will still get to be disciple, and we get to love on her. It warmed my heart when she wanted to call her mom to tell her the news. She may not know a lot of biblical language, but she understood as much as an 8 year old should. It was awesome.
One cool thing was that as Mount Airy Baptist Church was leaving, they told us how much they appreciated us, but also how much they grew in their faith this week. It made all craziness and hectic mess ups worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment