Monday, June 21, 2010


Today was day one of our madness. It was crazy. Wonderful. Silly. Insane. Joyful. Happy. Loving. It really was awesome. The kids are precious and all they really need is love. They need to see Gods love, which sometimes translates into saying no (which I have a terrible time with..) or it means giving a hug (I like this one).
Last night we trained with the first group. We have Mount Airy Baptist Church down here leading VBS. They are a very interesting and diverse group, and its sorta hysterical to see all the parallels between the both that church and my home youth group. Very similar people. After going through a happy orange handbook, they are pronounced ready to for the kids. Now as to if that group was completely listening is up to them...
This morning we arrived at the hour of 7:40, only to see that both Mount Airy and our supervisors were already waiting even though we were early. The morning started off as mass confusion because we did not know what we were doing, nor did Mount Airy. (Baptism by fire) I ended up doing sound for the groups, and giggled as the kids danced to the "Vast Voyage". I also enjoyed calling the 20 or so kids who did not show up, listening to reasons or receiving information that the number had been disconnected. The best part of the morning was definitely just realizing how precious the children are in Gods sight, and how much little things at the Center can make a impact on their lives (like learning manners for instance, who knew that was so important?) Also small person hugs may just be the best thing in the world. Most of the kids that act up simply do it because they dont get enough (if any) attention at home. It has completely rocked my view on children and inner city culture. I love it :)
This evening we got to serve at the ladies bible study, watching children (more bonding time). We played house (which mean a girl said she was my mommy and played with my hair), we built castles, jump rope, and any other sport. Those fifteen children we watched had so much energy it was crazy. I am pooped.
I do have to say that I love it down here. The other summer missionaries are wonderful, and I just love the atmosphere. I would love to work at something like this later on in life. Maybe in a Hispanic country. :) God is planning something mighty this summer, and things are beginning to change, I can feel it. I have a feeling that God will show me areas of definite growing, but also growing up. God is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment